While it is unfortunate to have COVID-19 cases within our schools, it is not unexpected given what is happening throughout the world. Kenowa Hills Public Schools remains diligent in our efforts to keep students and staff members safe and are committed to being transparent with our community. To this end, this page provides an overview of our processes in the event a COVID-19 positive case is determined within one of our schools and the number of current cases within our schools. A historical view of the number of cases since school began in the Fall of 2020 can be found by accessing the Kent ISD COVID-19 Dashboard.
COVID-19 Positive Cases Reported within the Last 24 Hours
# of Corresponding
Close Contacts Quarantined
No reported cases
No reported cases
|6/7/21||Pathways High School||1 Student||0|
Process When District Receives Notification of COVID-19 Case
- Immediately conduct contract tracing within the school community;
- Immediately email parents and staff within the school community to alert them of the situation and subsequently email parents and staff of specific class or group;
- Immediately notify and provide quarantine instructions to students or staff members identified as close contacts with the affected person; and
- Remove students from exposed classroom(s), if necessary, and sanitize all affected areas.
- Privacy regulations restrict us from sharing identifying information about individuals affected by COVID-19.
- We will continue to work closely with the Kent County Health Department when there are positive cases and will follow their guidance for handling the impact of cases at the classroom, building and district levels. We will also seek guidance from the health department regarding thresholds for maintaining in-person instruction.
- The Governor’s Return to School Roadmap outlines protocols for how districts are to respond to positive cases of COVID among staff or the student body, and those protocols are part of our COVID-19 Return to School Preparedness and Response Plan.
Layers of Safety Support
- Daily Screening - All students and staff must complete a daily health screening.
- Face Coverings - All students and staff must wear face coverings while riding the bus, during school (except while eating or drinking) and outside whenever at least 6 feet of social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Social Distancing - All students and staff must maintain 6 feet of social distancing whenever possible, avoid congregating and must continue in the same direction using the right side of each hallway. All desks/tables will face the same direction and be as far apart as possible.
- Cohorting - Elementary students will stay in the same classroom for all instruction. Specials teachers will travel to each classroom. Physical education classes will be held outside whenever possible. Secondary students will be in a block schedule with only two classes per day. Students will stay with their class for lunch.
- Hygiene & Cleaning - Students will be required to apply hand sanitizer while boarding the bus. Students and staff must use hand sanitizer or wash their hands with warm water before and after eating lunch and throughout the day. Buses must be sanitized after each route and desks/tables must be sanitized after each class. Common touch points must be disinfected throughout the day.
- Nurses - Each school will have a full time nurse available to care for any student or staff member who expresses COVID-like symptoms.
- Testing - Free onsite COVID testing will be available at any student or staff member who demonstrates common COVID symptoms.